dark chocolate pretzel cake
- 115g unsalted butter, chopped
- 450g dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 cup (50g) mini pretzels
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease and line a 22cm round springform cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the egg yolks and salt to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. In 3 batches, gently fold the eggwhite mixture into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour into the tin and arrange the pretzels on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are cooked when tested with a skewer and the centre is just set. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled. Slice to serve. Serves 8–10.
Tip: If you’re refrigerating the cake for longer than 3 hours, remove it from the fridge 1 hour before serving to allow it to come to room temperature.
Almost half a kilo of chocolate..?