lemon, almond and blueberry tart
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil, for brushing
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 1¼ cups (125g) blueberries
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 40g unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅔ cup (80g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus extra to serve
- 1 egg white
- To make the lemon curd, place the eggs, honey, lemon rind and juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes, then add the butter and continue whisking for 2–3 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and immediately strain through a sieve to remove any lumps. Refrigerate for 40 minutes or until cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). To make the almond filling, place the almond meal, vanilla, honey and egg white in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Lightly brush a 35cm x 12cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin with oil. Top with a sheet of filo, gently pushing into the tin, then brush with oil and evenly scatter with one-quarter of the almond filling. Top with another layer of filo, gently pushing down to spread out the almond filling. Brush with oil and repeat layering the filo, almond filling and filo 3 more times. Gently fold over the excess pastry and press along the sides of the tin to create the sides of the tart. Brush with the remaining oil. Place in the oven and cook for 20–25 minutes or until light golden. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Remove the pastry base from the tin and fill with the curd and blueberries. Drizzle with honey to serve. Serves 6–8
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.