lemon cake with passionfruit syrup
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup (150g) white (granulated) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ⅔ cup (160ml) passionfruit pulp (approximately 8 passionfruit)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350ºF). Place the butter and caster sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 5–6 minutes or until light and creamy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, lemon rind, flour and baking powder and mix to combine. Spoon the mixture into a 22cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- To make the passionfruit syrup, place the sugar, water and passionfruit pulp in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and boil the syrup for 4–5 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack over a plate. Pour half the hot syrup over the top. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Drizzle over the remaining syrup to serve. Serves 8–10
There are no comments for this entry yet.