vanilla custard slice
- 2 sheets store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ²⁄³ cup (150g) caster sugar
- ¹⁄³ cup (50g) cornflour
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 6 egg yolks
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Place the pastry sheets on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Top each pastry sheet with non-stick baking paper and place an additional baking tray on each pastry sheet as a weight. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on wire racks. Using a serrated knife, trim the pastry sheets to 22cm-square. Set aside.
- Place the milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until just boiling. Remove from the heat. Combine the cornflour and water and whisk into the hot milk mixture with the egg yolks. Return to the heat, whisking, and bring to the boil. Cook, whisking, for 30 seconds–1 minute or until thickened. Place 1 pastry sheet in the base of a lightly greased 22cm-square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper+. Top with the custard and the remaining pastry sheet and press down gently. Refrigerate for 3–4 hours or until set. Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve. Makes 12.
+ Ensure you have enough baking paper hanging over the sides of the tin so you can lift the slice from the tin after it has chilled.
Ive made this 3 times now and it turns out great. I sub in 1 vanilla pod instead of the extract and its delicious and super easy.
donna hay team
Hi Katrina, great question! Cutting these types of slices can be tricky indeed and is a bit of trial and error but we use a hot dry serrated knife to cut through the pastry and custard. The DH team
I’d love to try this recipe for this weekend. How would you recommend cutting it so it doesn’t squish?
great recipe, I have tried a few other recipes for vanilla slice but they never held properly and didn’t have the right flavour. Highly recommend this slice and I just made a passionfruit icing instead of just dusting it.