coconut and lime roasted chicken
- ⅓ cup (65g) long grain rice
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2cm piece (10g) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 coriander (cilantro) roots, chopped
- 2 thai lime leaves, stems removed and chopped
- ¾ cup (60g) shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 x 1.6kg whole chicken
- 2 cups (500ml) water, extra
- ¼ cup (60ml) fish sauce
- ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1 bunch garlic chives, blanched, to serve
- baby shiso and micro mint leaves, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the rice and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, place the lemongrass, ginger, garlic, coriander and lime leaves in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Place the cooked rice and lemongrass mixture in a medium bowl with the coconut and mix to combine. Spoon the rice mixture into the cavity of the chicken and secure the legs with kitchen string. Pour the extra water, fish sauce and brown sugar into a roasting pan and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, in the pan and roast for 40 minutes, basting with the pan juices every 15 minutes. Turn the chicken and roast for a further 40 minutes, basting every 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Pour the lime juice over the chicken and serve with the garlic chives, pan juices and micro herbs. Serves 4.
This is a favourite in our house and it smells INCREDIBLE when you’re making/cooking it. The kids devour it, adults think it’s super fancy, and sides can be very simple because this packs a punch with flavour. I can’t seem to give stars (?) but, if I could, this would be a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipe!