ginger and soy roast chicken
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) oyster sauce
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 x 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, halved lengthways
- 1 x 1.8kg whole chicken
- steamed rice, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, vinegar, water, ginger and chilli in a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, in the pan. Baste the chicken with the cooking liquid, transfer to the oven and roast, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken, breast-side up, and roast for a further 25–30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken with the soy and ginger sauce and rice. Serves 4.
An absolute favourite in our home! We love to eat it like peking duck pancakes: with chinese pancakes, scallions, cucumber and hoisin sauce. Sometimes some mango of cilantro to funk things up.
Such a great dish. So easy to make and the flavour is amazing. The chicken is so moist from being baked in the marinade/sauce. Will be on our regular menu at home for sure.