herby lemon and quinoa chicken soup
- 1 cup (190g) white quinoa
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 litres hot chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup dill leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt and finely grated
- lemon rind, to serve
- cracked black pepper, for sprinkling
- Place the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes or until almost tender. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the chicken, in batches, and cook for 4 minutes, turning. Remove and set aside.
- Add the leek and garlic to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and add the stock and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and, using 2 forks, shred the meat and return to the saucepan. Add the cooked quinoa, lemon, parsley and dill, and stir to combine. Divide the soup between bowls and top with yoghurt, lemon rind, extra parsley, extra dill and sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.