harissa roasted eggplant
with black lentil and herb salad
- 3 eggplants (aubergines) (840g), halved lengthways and flesh scored
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses+
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup (210g) black lentils
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (50g) chia seeds
- plain Greek-style (thick) yoghurt, to serve
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- To make the dressing, place the oil, vinegar, pomegranate molasses and lemon juice in a bowl, whisk to combine and set aside. Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F). Place the eggplant, cut-side up, on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Place the harissa, garlic, pomegranate molasses and lemon rind in a bowl and mix to combine. Spoon over the eggplant, drizzle with oil and roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Place the lentils and water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Place the lentils, parsley, coriander, mint and chia seeds in a large bowl. Top with the dressing and toss to combine. Divide the eggplant between serving plates and spoon over the salad. Top with yoghurt to serve. Serves 6
+ You can find pomegranate molasses in middle eastern and specialty food stores.
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.