slow-roasted oregano lamb and potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- ⅓ cup oregano leaves
- ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2kg lamb leg, bone in
- 1kg Dutch cream potatoes+, peeled and chopped
- 6 single-clove garlic bulbs++
- 1 sprig bay leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the garlic, anchovy and oregano in a mortar and pound with a pestle until smooth. Add the sugar and vinegar and mix to combine.
- Place in a large bowl with the lamb and toss to coat. Place the potato, garlic bulbs and bay leaves on 2 large sheets of aluminium foil lined with 2 large sheets of non-stick baking paper.
- Place in a large roasting tray. Top with the lamb and wine, drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold the paper and foil to enclose tightly. Cook for 3 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Open the paper and foil and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown and caramelised. Serve. Serves 4–6.
+ You can use other waxy potatoes such as kipfler potatoes in place of Dutch cream.
++ Single-clove garlic is slightly larger than regular garlic cloves, however, if unavailable, you can use 8 cloves of regular garlic instead.
There are no comments for this entry yet.