caramel swirl marshmallows
- ½ cup (125ml) warm water
- 2 tablespoons gelatine powder
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅔ cup (230g) liquid glucose
- ½ cup (125ml) water, extra
- ½ cup (150g) store-bought thick caramel or dulce de leche
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with non-stick baking paper, allowing 3cm of paper to sit above the edges. Place the warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer and slowly sprinkle with the gelatine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the gelatine is absorbed.
- Place the caster sugar, glucose and the extra water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 6–7 minutes or until the temperature reaches 115°C (239°F) on a sugar (candy) thermometer.
- With the electric mixer on high speed, gradually add the hot syrup to the gelatine mixture in a thin steady stream and whisk for 3 minutes or until thick and glossy. Working quickly, add the caramel and gently fold to combine. Carefully spoon the mixture into the tin. Use a sheet of non-stick baking paper to help you carefully smooth the marshmallow into an even layer. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours or until set.
- Use the paper to help you lift the marshmallow from the tin. Dust a large knife with extra icing sugar. Trim the edges and cut the marshmallow into squares. Dust squares with the icing sugar mixture to serve. Makes 15
These marshmallows will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
There are no comments for this entry yet.