date doughnuts with spiced sugar
- 9 soft fresh dates (180g), pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
- 1¼ cups (185g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) white (granulated) sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Grease 6 x ⅓-cup-capacity (80ml) doughnut tins. Place the date and water in a small bowl and allow to soak for 5 minutes or until softened. Mash the date until smooth, using a fork.
- Place the flour, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and the date mixture in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour half the mixture into the tins and bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden brown and cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter, re-greasing the tins, to make a total of 12 doughnuts.
- To make the spiced sugar, place the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Toss the doughnuts in the spiced sugar to serve. Makes 12
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.