italian braised beans
with tomato and rosemary
- ½ cup (100g) dried cannellini (white) beans, soaked overnight+
- 1 cup (200g) dried chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight+
- ½ cup (95g) dried lima beans, soaked overnight+
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 800g roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 litre water
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 5 sprigs oregano
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 150g silverbeet (Swiss chard) leaves, chopped
- finely grated pecorino and toasted bread, to serve
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans, chickpeas and lima beans. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes.
- Add the tomato, cannellini beans, chickpeas, lima beans, water, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 40–50 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add the silverbeet and stir through until wilted. Top with pecorino and serve with bread. Serves 6.
+ If you don’t have time to soak beans overnight, place the cannellini beans, chickpeas and lima beans in a large saucepan. Cover with water and place over high heat until the water comes to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid, and set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain and rinse under cold water.
There are no comments for this entry yet.