raw peppermint slice
- 2 cups (160g) desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- ⅔ cup (160ml) coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 100g raw organic 70% dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 10 soft fresh dates (200g), pitted
- ¾ cup (120g) almonds
- ⅓ cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- To make the coconut base, line a 20cm square slice tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the dates, almonds and coconut in a food processor and process for 1–2 minutes or until the mixture just comes together. Press into the base of the tin, using the back of a spoon, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place the coconut, rice malt syrup, coconut cream and peppermint in a food processor and process for 3–4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until smooth. Spread the peppermint mixture evenly over the base. Refrigerate for 40 minutes or until set.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (the bowl shouldn’t touch the water) and stir until melted. Remove from the heat, add the oil and mix to combine. Spread the chocolate over the peppermint layer and smooth the top. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove the slice from the tin and, using a hot knife, cut it into bars. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 20.
+ Raw organic chocolate is available at health food stores and specialty grocers. If you can’t find it, you can use 70% dark chocolate. To keep the chocolate raw while melting, use a sugar (candy) thermometer to ensure it stays under 42°C (107°F).
Tip: Keep this slice refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
There are no comments for this entry yet.