and cucumber bowl
- 1¼ cups (250g) brown rice
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1½ cups (20g) dried wakame+
- 400g sashimi-grade salmon, cut into cubes
- 6 baby cucumbers (cukes), sliced
- 2 sheets nori, finely shredded
- micro (baby) coriander (cilantro), to serve
- wasabi dressing
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- ¼ cup (60ml) mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Place the rice, water and half the wakame in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20–25 minutes or until almost tender.
- Place the remaining wakame in a bowl and cover with water. Set aside for 15 minutes to soak. Drain and set aside.
- While the wakame is soaking, make the wasabi dressing. Place the wasabi, tamari, mirin and vinegar in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the salmon, cucumber and half the dressing in a large bowl and toss to combine. Divide the rice, wakame and salmon mixture between bowls. Top with the remaining dressing, nori and coriander to serve. Serves 4
+ Wakame is a type of dried seaweed, found at Asian grocery stores and in the health food aisle of supermarkets.
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.