black rice, ginger and papaya salad
with creamy coconut dressing
- ¾ cup (150g) black rice
- 2 thai lime leaves
- 4cm-piece ginger, sliced
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 200g sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 3 cups (240g) shredded purple cabbage
- 150g shredded green papaya
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup shiso leaves
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (25g) freshly shaved coconut
creamy coconut dressing
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 3 thai lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- Place the rice, thai lime leaves, ginger and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture comes to the boil. Remove the lid, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 35–40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- While the rice is cooking, make the creamy coconut dressing. Place the coconut milk, thai lime leaves, ginger and fish sauce in a small bowl. Using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth. Strain and set aside.
- Place the sugar snap peas in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the rice, cabbage, papaya, sugar snap peas, basil and shiso in a large bowl, add half the dressing and toss to combine.
- Divide the mixture between bowls. Top with the chilli and shaved coconut and drizzle with the remaining dressing to serve. Serves 4
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.