broccoli and pancetta pasta bake
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 400g penne
- 2 heads broccoli florets, cut into florets
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 2 cups (200g) grated mozzarella
- 100g flat pancetta, thinly sliced into lardoons
- 2 cups (140g) sourdough breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5–6 minutes or until softened.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 8–10 minutes or until al dente. Add the broccoli and cook for 30 seconds or until just tender. Drain well.
- Place the pasta, broccoli, cream, lemon rind, onion mixture and half of the mozzarella in an 18cm x 32cm deep-sided oven dish and stir to combine. Top with the pancetta, breadcrumbs and remaining mozzarella. Cook for 30–35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Serve. Serves 4–6.
tips + tricks
+ This pasta can be cooked up to one day in advance and stored, covered, in the fridge. Reheat in the oven at 160°C.
+ If flat pancetta is unavailable, you can also use streaky bacon.
+ We used penne, but you can use any short pasta you like, such as macaroni, fusilli or rigatoni.
There are no comments for this entry yet.