charred broccoli and brown rice salad
- 1½ cups (300g) brown rice
- 2½ cups (625ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 heads broccoli (600g), cut into 1cm steaks
- 1 cup (120g) pitted green olives, halved
- 1 cup (120g) mung beans
- ⅓ cup (50g) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups baby red-vein sorrel leaves
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts+
chilli honey dressing
- ¼ cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- Place the rice and water in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes or until almost tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to steam, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender and the water has absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat a char-grill pan over medium heat.
- Place the garlic, cumin, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Brush both sides of the broccoli with the garlic mixture and grill for 3–4 minutes each side or until charred and tender.
- To make the dressing, place the vinegar, honey, oil and chilli in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the cooled rice, olive, mung beans, pine nuts and half the dressing in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Divide the rice mixture among plates, top with the broccoli, avocado, sorrel and sprouts.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4.
+ Sunflower sprouts are a good source of zinc and folic acid. They are available from health food stores.
There are no comments for this entry yet.