egg and beetroot rice paper rolls
with tahini peanut sauce
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- sesame oil, for brushing
- 6 large (22cm) rice paper rounds
- ½ bunch garlic chives, trimmed
- 250g green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 beetroot, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves
- micro (baby) basil leaves, to serve
tahini and peanut sauce
- ⅓ cup (45g) unsalted peanuts
- ¼ cup (70g) tahini
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- Place eggs and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Place an 18cm non-stick frying pan over medium heat and brush with the sesame oil. Pour 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture into the pan and gently tip the pan to evenly spread. Cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through, remove and set aside. Repeat with the remaining oil and mixture to make 6 omelettes.
- To make the tahini and peanut sauce, place the peanuts in a mortar and pound with a pestle until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the tahini, water, ginger and tamari. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Place 1 rice paper round in warm water for 20 seconds to soften. Place on a clean, damp cloth. Top with a few of the chives, 1 of the omelettes and a little of the cabbage, avocado, beetroot, Thai basil and micro basil. Fold over each end and roll to enclose. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve with the tahini and peanut sauce. Makes 6
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.