Italian potato salad
- 1.5kg (3 lb 3 oz) baby (new) potatoes
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup (125ml/4¼ fl oz) lemon juice
- ⅓ cup (80ml/2¾ fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 long red chillies, deseeded and finely shredded
- ⅓ cup (65g/2¼ oz) salted baby capers, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup fresh dill leaves
- 100g (3½ oz) rocket (arugula), finely shredded
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted cold water over high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 18–20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Set aside to cool, then slice the potatoes into halves or thirds if larger.
- Meanwhile, place the onion, lemon rind and juice into a glass or non-reactive bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chilli and capers and cook for 6 minutes or until starting to crisp. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until golden.
- When ready to serve, place potatoes, parsley, dill, rocket, pickled onion and salt and pepper in a large serving dish. Add the chilli mixture and the pan juices to the salad and drizzle with the onion pickling liquid. Gently toss to combine and serve. Serves 6–8
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.