turmeric carrot falafels
with minted yoghurt
- 1 x 400g can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups (360g) peeled and grated carrot
- ¼ cup (50g) white chia seeds
- 2 cups (70g) firmly packed finely shredded kale leaves
- 1 cup (16g) coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ½ cup (8g) mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground or fresh grated turmeric
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- cos (romaine) lettuce leaves, vine-ripened tomatoes, mint and sumac, to serve
- 1 cup (280g) plain thick yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Place the beans, onion, carrot, chia, kale, coriander, mint, turmeric, baking powder, salt and pepper into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Shape ¼ cupfuls of the mixture into patties and place on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Brush the patties generously with oil and bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden.
- While the falafel are cooking, make the minted yoghurt by mixing the yoghurt, mint and lemon juice together.
- Serve the falafel with lettuce, tomatoes, mint, sumac and minted yoghurt. Makes 16
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.