classic chicken soup base
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 200g thinly sliced flat pancetta, chopped
- 1 x 1.6kg whole chicken
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 litres water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 6–8 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the chicken, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones, and set aside.
- Strain the stock into a large heatproof bowl, discarding the solids. Allow to cool. Skim any excess fat from the surface. Makes 1 quantity
You can freeze the chicken stock in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw it to use in soups, sauces, risottos and curries. Use the tender shredded chicken in anything from soups to sandwiches.
There are no comments for this entry yet.