sweet and sour beetroot salad
- 6 medium beetroot (1kg), trimmed
- 1 litre water
- 1 cup (250ml) malt vinegar
- 2 cups (350g) brown (light brown) sugar
- peel of 1 lemon
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1kg fresh borlotti beans, podded
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar, extra
- 1 bunch baby kale leaves
- 2 cups purple basil leaves
- 200g goat’s cheese with rind, sliced
- cracked black pepper, to serve
- Place the beetroot, water, vinegar, sugar, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
- While the beetroot is cooking, place the beans in a medium saucepan of cold water over medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Remove the beetroot from the liquid, reserving ⅓ cup (80ml) of the cooking liquid, and set aside to cool. Place the reserved liquid in a small saucepan over high heat, add the extra vinegar and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until reduced and syrupy.
- Place the beans, kale and basil in a large bowl. Peel the beetroot, cut into wedges and add to the bowl. Top with the cheese and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4
+ You may like to wear gloves to peel the beetroot.
There are no comments for this entry yet.