brownie caramel slice
- 1 packet Donna Hay Molten Chocolate Chunk Brownie
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 x 398g can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup (115g) golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
each packet contains:
- 1 sachet brownie mix
- 1 sachet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Following the packet instructions, mix the brownie mix, half of the melted butter and eggs to make the brownie batter (reserve the chocolate chunks). Spoon into a lightly greased lined 20cm x 30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- Place the sweetened condensed milk, remaining butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to the simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and deep golden. Pour the caramel mixture over the brownie.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for a further 15 minutes or until bubbling and dark golden around the edge. Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chunks and oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and stir until melted and smooth. Pour over the cooled slice and spread evenly with a palette knife. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Using a large hot knife, cut into slices or squares. Makes 16
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.