charred broccoli and brown rice salad
- 1½ cups (300g) brown rice
- 2½ cups (625ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 heads broccoli (600g), cut into 1cm steaks
- 1 cup (120g) pitted green olives, halved
- 1 cup (120g) mung beans
- ⅓ cup (50g) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups baby red-vein sorrel leaves
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts+
chilli honey dressing
- ¼ cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- Place the rice and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes or until almost tender. Remove from the heat and allow to steam, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender and the water has absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat a char-grill pan over medium heat. Place the garlic, cumin, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Brush both sides of the broccoli with the garlic mixture and grill for 3–4 minutes each side or until charred and tender.
- To make the dressing, place the vinegar, honey, oil and chilli in a bowl and stir to combine. Place the cooled rice, olive, mung beans, pine nuts and half the dressing in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Divide the rice mixture among plates, top with the broccoli, avocado, sorrel and sprouts. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4.
+ Sunflower sprouts are a good source of zinc and folic acid. They are available from health food stores.
There are no comments for this entry yet.