beetroot quinoa burgers
with avocado smash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup cooked black quinoa+
- 2 beetroot (500g), peeled and grated
- ½ cup (50g) quinoa flakes
- ½ cup dill sprigs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (65g) white spelt flour
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 small avocados, chopped
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 wholegrain rolls, halved and toasted
- 1 cup (40g) alfalfa sprouts
- 4 dill pickles, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- Heat half the oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 4–5 minutes or until softened. Place the onion mixture, black quinoa, beetroot, quinoa flakes, dill, egg, flour, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until just combined. Shape into 6 patties.
- Place the avocado, feta and lemon juice in a small bowl and mash with a fork until combined.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 3–4 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Divide the avocado mixture between the rolls. Top the bases with the alfalfa, patties and pickle. Sandwich with the roll tops and serve with extra pickles. Serves 6
+ ½ cup (90g) uncooked quinoa makes 1 cup cooked quinoa.
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.