caramelised fennel, zucchini and ricotta tart
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel, thinly sliced
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown (light brown) sugar
- 1 cup (240g) low-fat ricotta
- 1 zucchini (courgette), thinly sliced
- 2 tarragon sprigs
wholemeal hot water pastry
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 1½ cups (210g) wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). To make the wholemeal hot water pastry, place the butter and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, add the flour, salt, fennel seeds and lemon rind, and mix well to combine. Turn out the dough onto a clean surface and knead until smooth. Roll out on a large sheet of non stick baking paper to a 30cm round. Place on an oven tray.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the fennel, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for a further 4 minutes or until caramelised.
- Spread the ricotta over the pastry, leaving a 5cm border. Top with the fennel and zucchini, and fold over the edges of the pastry, pressing lightly to seal.
- Cook for 40 minutes. Add the tarragon and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve. Serves 6
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.