self-saucing chocolate puddings
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon hazelnut meal
- ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 35g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar, extra
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Sift the flour, hazelnut meal, sugar, baking powder and 2 tablespoons of cocoa into a bowl. Add the milk, butter, egg and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Spoon into 4 x 1 cup-capacity (250ml) oven-proof dishes and place on a baking tray.
- Place the extra sugar and remaining cocoa in a bowl and mix to combine. Sprinkle over the puddings and pour over the water. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until the tops are firm.
donna hay team
Hello Janet, after sprinkling the extra sugar and remaining cocoa over the mixture, you pour the boiling water over the puddings, as this will help create the sauce. Happy cooking! The DH team x
Quick question… are you meant to put the boiling water over the puddings or in the base of the tray?
This is a favourite recipe of ours. I often play around with it, experimenting with different nut meals or using a liqueur such as frangelico instead of the vanilla. It’s always delicious and we recently discovered they even work well reheated from the fridge.
Super easy and really yummy!!!!