slow-cooked kimchi brisket tortillas
with kimchi cucumber
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg beef brisket, trimmed
- 1½ cups (300g) kimchi
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, halved and bruised
- ¼ cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 12 small corn tortillas, toasted, to serve
- micro (baby) coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- pickled white ginger, to serve
- ½ cup (100g) kimchi, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) reserved kimchi liquid
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 eschalot (French shallot), thinly sliced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook for 4 minutes each side or until well browned. Place the beef in a deep-sided roasting tray. Add the kimchi, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, tomato paste and water. Cover with aluminium foil and cook, turning the mixture halfway, for 3 hours or until tender and easy to shred. Add the maple syrup and, using two forks, shred the beef. Set aside.
- To make the kimchi cucumber, place the kimchi, kimchi liquid, vinegar, eschalot and cucumber in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Serve the brisket with the tortillas, kimchi cucumber, coriander and pickled ginger. Serves 6
There are no comments for this entry yet.