hummus with spiced crispy chickpeas
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- micro (baby) coriander (cilantro) leaves (optional)+, to serve
- store-bought grissini (bread sticks), to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
spiced crispy chickpeas
- ¼ cup (50g) white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the water to thin the hummus if necessary, processing to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- To make the spiced crispy chickpeas, place the flour, paprika and ground coriander in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat. Heat 1cm of vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chickpeas, in batches, for 4–5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt, pepper and the extra paprika.
- Spoon the hummus onto a serving plate and top with the crispy chickpeas. Drizzle with extra oil, sprinkle with coriander leaves and pepper and serve with grissini and lemon wedges. Makes 2½ cups
TIP: Micro herbs are available from greengrocers, farmers’ markets and some supermarkets.
There are no comments for this entry yet.