crispy pea and mint risotto balls
- 1.25 litres chicken stock
- 60g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (400g) arborio rice
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (100g) grated mozzarella
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups peas (180g), blanched and lightly crushed
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lemon juice
- ⅓ cup finely grated lemon rind
- 4 cups (350g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- plain (all-purpose) flour, for dusting
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat the stock in a large saucepan over medium heat. In a separate saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the rice and wine and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until all the wine is absorbed. Gradually add the hot stock, 1 cup (250ml) at a time, stirring continuously, for 25–30 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Spread the risotto onto a tray and allow to cool slightly. Add the mozzarella, parmesan, salt and pepper, peas, mint, lemon juice and lemon rind and mix to combine.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of risotto mixture into balls, dip into the flour and egg and toss in the breadcrumbs until well coated. Repeat the process to double coat the balls.
- Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan over high heat until hot. Deep-fry the risotto balls, in batches, until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Makes 18.
Absolutely fabulous. Light and more-ish. Kids love them.