little christmas cakes
- 2¼ cups (360g) dried mixed fruit
- ½ cup (125ml) brandy or sweet sherry
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 200g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 200g store-bought ready-to-roll icing
- brandy or sweet sherry, extra, for splashing
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- Preheat oven to 140°C (285ºF). Place the dried fruit, brandy, sugar, butter and mixed spice in a large saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Allow to simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Add flour, baking powder and eggs to cooled fruit mixture and mix well. Spoon into 6 x 1 cup-capacity (250ml) non-stick muffin tins. Bake for 45 minutes or until cakes are firm. While still hot, splash cakes with a capful of extra brandy. Allow to cool.
- To decorate, dust icing with a little icing sugar and roll out to 3mm thick. Cut into star shapes using a cutter and place on top of cakes before serving. Makes 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.