no-fail meringue mixture
- 225ml eggwhite (about 6 eggs)+
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- Place the eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each addition is dissolved before adding more++.
- Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 10–15 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy+++.
- Place the cornflour and vinegar in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the eggwhite mixture and whisk for 30 seconds or until well combined++++. Makes 1 quantity.
+ Making meringue is a science. Be sure to measure your ingredients carefully, including the eggwhites as egg sizes do vary. Fresh, room temperature eggs work best – when whisked they’ll become fluffy and voluminous, plus they’re more stable during baking.
++ Be patient when gradually adding the sugar to the eggwhite. Each tablespoon of sugar should be dissolved before the next is added.
+++ Take care not to overwhisk the meringue mixture – it’s ready when it’s thick, glossy, smooth and there are no more sugar granules. You can check this by rubbing a little mixture between your thumb and forefinger.
++++ See the recipes that follow for how to bake this meringue mixture.
It’s best to avoid making meringue on humid days. Excess humidity can cause meringue to sink during or after baking.
There are no comments for this entry yet.