raspberry sweet bread wreath
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) lukewarm water
- 1½ tablespoons warm milk
- 1½ cups 00 (superfine) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (40g) dried currants
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon milk, for brushing
- raw or Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
quick raspberry jam
- 1½ cups (200g) frozen raspberries
- ⅔ cup (150) caster (superfine) sugar
- Place the yeast, caster sugar, water and milk in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Place the flour, oil, currants, orange rind and cinnamon in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and mix to form a dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5–6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp tea towel and allow to stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is proving, make the quick raspberry jam+. Place the raspberries and sugar in a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes or until reduced and thickened slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to make a rough 25cm x 55cm rectangle. Spread the dough with the jam and roll up, starting from the long edge, to enclose. Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough in half lengthways.
- Join the top of the 2 pieces together and carefully slide onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Twist the 2 lengths together, form a wreath shape and join the ends. Gently transfer the paper to a baking tray. Brush the wreath with milk, sprinkle with raw sugar and bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Tie with a ribbon and place in the centre of the table to serve. Serves 10–12
+ You could also use ½ cup (160g) store-bought raspberry jam.
There are no comments for this entry yet.