apricot and blackberry cake
- 185g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- 1¼ cups (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2¼ cups (335g) plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 5 apricots, stones removed, cut into wedges
- 250g blackberries
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar, extra icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture. Add the milk and beat until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Smooth the top with a palette knife.
- Place the apricot, blackberries and extra sugar in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Arrange the fruit over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 10.
+ You can use any combination of stone fruits available.
+ We used fresh blackberries but you can also use frozen.
Thanks for the recipe, it tasted great with soft texture! I didn’t know that the cake will rise high so I gently pressed the fruits. Next time, I’ll just put the fruits on. Also, I think 50mins is a bit too long, the edges are brown and I don’t like that. I’ll try reducing the time to 45mins next time.