chocolate bunny tail cupcakes
- 1¼ cups (185g) White Wings self raising (self-rising) flour
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa
- ¾ cup (165g) CSR caster sugar (superfine)
- ½ cup (120g) firmly packed CSR brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup (160ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- shredded coconut, for sprinkling
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups (440g) CSR caster (superfine) sugar
- 150ml egg whites (about 4 eggs)
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the flour, cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes or until pale and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) cupcake tins lined with paper cases. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the meringue icing, place the water, cream of tartar or lemon juice and half the sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. With the motor running, add the remaining 1 cup (220g) of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more. Gradually add the hot sugar syrup in a thin steady stream and whisk for a further 4 minutes or until thick, glossy and cooled.
- To decorate, pipe or spoon the meringue icing on top of cupcakes and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Makes 12
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.