cacao buckwheat crackles
- ¼ cup (25g) cacao or cocoa powder
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup (80ml) melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 cup (15g) puffed brown rice
- ¾ cup (150g) buckwheat+
- 1 cup (80g) flaked almonds, toasted
- ½ cup (40g) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- Place the cacao, honey, vanilla, coconut oil and tahini in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until melted. Add the puffed rice, buckwheat, almond, coconut and chia seeds. Stir well to combine.
- Place ¼ cupfuls of the mixture on 2 large baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, pressing slightly to flatten into rounds. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to set. Serve.
+ Buckwheat is the seed of a plant related to rhubarb. Loved for its wholesome benefits and nutty flavour, the little pyramid-shaped kernels are light brown or green in colour. Buy raw buckwheat in the health food aisle of most supermarkets and at health food stores.
Keep these crackles in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.