Whole orange cake
with extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oranges
- ½ cup (180g) honey
- ½ cup (85g) polenta
- 1¼ cups (150g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80ml) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
orange and honey syrup
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup (120g) honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Grease the base and sides of a 22cm round springform tin. Line the base with non-stick baking paper. Set aside. Place whole oranges into a large saucepan and cover with water. Allow to simmer for 1 hour or until soft.
- Drain then roughly chop the oranges and remove any seeds. Place in a food processor, add the honey and process until smooth. Spoon into a large bowl. Add the polenta, almond meal, baking powder, oil and eggs and mix until combined. Spoon into prepared tin and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking, make the syrup. Place the orange juice, honey and vanilla bean into a saucepan over low heat. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve the cake warm or cold with the syrup. Serves 12–14
There are no comments for this entry yet.