wholemeal fruit scones
- ¾ cup (110g) CSR Sugar Coconut Sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250g) plain thick yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) wholemeal (whole-wheat) spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (125g) frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (125g) frozen raspberries
- milk, for brushing
- 2 tablespoons CSR Sugar Demerara Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the coconut sugar, oil, yoghurt, lemon rind and vanilla into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Make a well in the centre, add the yoghurt mixture and use a butter knife or a flat spatula to gently mix the dough until almost combined+. Add the frozen blueberries and raspberries and stir to combine.
- Lay the dough out onto a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Using lightly floured hands, bring the dough together and flatten out into a rough 12cm x 18cm rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 pieces and separate to have 1 cm between each piece. Brush the scones with milk and sprinkle the top with demerara sugar. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 8
+ It is important to work quickly when using yoghurt and baking powder as these contain active ingredients.
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.