chocolate s’more meringue pie
- 250g malt biscuits
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 600g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
marshmallow meringue topping
- 2 cups (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 150ml eggwhites (approximately 4 eggs)
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until fine. Add the butter and process until combined. Using the back of a spoon, press the biscuit mixture in the base of an 18cm (1-litre-capacity) pie dish. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour into the prepared pie dish and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until firm.
- To make the marshmallow meringue, place 1½ cups (330g) of the sugar, the cream of tartar and water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, without stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until slightly reduced and syrupy.
- Place the eggwhites in the clean bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until combined. With the mixer on high speed, gradually pour the sugar syrup into the eggwhites in a thin, steady stream and whisk for a further 3–4 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the chocolate and, using a kitchen blowtorch or placing the pie under the grill (broiler) for 30 seconds, lightly toast the meringue to caramelise the top before serving. Serves 6–8.
Tip: This pie is best eaten on the day it’s made.
There are no comments for this entry yet.