easy chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (165g) white sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 400g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the brown and white sugars, butter and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg, beating well to combine. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and beat, on low speed, until a dough forms. Fold through the chocolate.
- Roll 2 tablespoonfuls of the dough at a time into balls, and flatten slightly. Place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room to spread. Bake for 17–20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on trays. Makes 22
Tip: Although the cookies will still be soft to the touch when baked, you can tell they’re ready to remove from the oven when the edges are golden.
White chocolate and macadamia chip cookies: Simply substitute the dark chocolate for 250g chopped white chocolate and 150g chopped macadamia nuts.
Triple chocolate chip cookies: Reduce the dark chocolate quantity to 150g and add 150g chopped white chocolate and 100g chopped milk chocolate to the cookie dough.
Photography: Ben Dearnley
V yummy cookies! I used coconut nectar sugar n semi-sweet chocolates. Turned out yummylicious too! everyone loves it! Thanks for the recipe Donna!
Highly recommend! Biscuits are yum.. only problem they didn’t last long. Loads of chocolate even though I didn’t use the full amount. Just used 2 blocks of Cadbury’s Old Gold 180g each.