carrot cake granola
- 4 cups (360g/12½ oz) rolled oats
- 2 cups (240g/8½ oz) roughly grated carrots
- 2 cups (320g/11¼ oz) roughly chopped pecans
- 2 cups (200g/7 oz) roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (75g/2½ oz) shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (250ml/8½ fl oz) pure maple syrup
- ½ cup (125ml/4¼ oz) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup (520g/1 lb 1 oz) raisins
- Preheat oven 160°C (325°F). Line 3 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the oats, carrot, pecans, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the maple syrup, oil and vanilla and mix gently to coat.
- Divide mixture between prepared trays and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir the mixture and bake for a further 10–15 minutes or until the granola is golden and crunchy. Allow to cool on the trays. Toss through the raisins and keep in an airtight container+. Makes 12 cups
+ Granola will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
Portion the Carrot Cake Granola in glass jars – we used jars from Ikea. Cover with a lid and decorate with a piece of calico that is tied with natural jute ribbon or string. Add a sprig of maple leaves or any other foliage that you may have in your garden.
Photography: Chris Court
This is delicious. Make sure you use big baking trays or it’ll take longer. Yum