super green reuben
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped oregano leaves
- 6 cups (180g/6¼ oz) roughly chopped kale (stems removed)
- 300g (10½ oz) baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 125g (4½ oz) cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1¼ cups (150g/5¼ oz) sauerkraut, drained
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 8 slices rye or wholemeal (whole-wheat) bread
- 4 large slices Swiss cheese
- dill pickles, to serve
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, garlic and oregano and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the kale in batches and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Add the spinach, dill, cream cheese, horseradish and sauerkraut to the pan and stir for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and the ingredients are combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the kale mixture onto 4 slices of the bread and top with the cheese and remaining bread slices.
- Wipe out the pan and place over medium heat. Brush the bread with the extra oil and cook for 4 minutes each side or until the bread is well toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve with pickles. Serves 4
+ I love bringing balance to a guilty pleasure, like this Reuben. Here’s your chance to enjoy the most delicious crunchy and cheesy toasted sandwich while still looking after yourself with a good dose of nourishing greens.
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.