Brown sugar meringues
with chocolate swirl cream and sugar bark
- 4 eggwhites (125ml total)
- ¾ cup (165g) raw caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (80g) dark brown sugar, firmly packed and pressed through a sieve
- blueberries, to serve
chocolate swirl cream
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) single (pouring) cream
- 300ml double (thick) cream
- ⅓ cup (75g) raw caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). To make the sugar bark, line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Sprinkle the baking paper with the caster sugar and tap the tray gently to make the sugar a thin even layer. Sprinkle with the coffee sugar and cook for 8–10 minutes or until the sugar has just melted. Allow to cool on tray. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 120°C (250°F). To make the brown sugar meringues, place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Sprinkle tablespoons of the brown sugar over the eggwhite mixture, whisking well between spoonfuls.
- Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Spoon the eggwhite mixture onto the baking trays in 8 rounds. Reduce oven temperature to 100°C (212°F). Bake for 45 minutes, turn off the oven and allow meringues to cool completely in the oven.
- To make the chocolate swirl cream, place the chocolate and single cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the chocolate has melted and is combined. Set aside to cool. Place the double cream in a large bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Add the chocolate mixture and swirl through the cream.
- Place the meringues on plates and break the sugar bark into pieces. Serve meringues immediately with blueberries and chocolate swirl cream. Serves 8.
Tips + Tricks:
This unique twist on meringue substitutes standard white caster sugar for raw caster and dark brown, to give a new richness and a golden, caramel colour to these pillowy treats.
There are no comments for this entry yet.