quinoa-crusted chicken schnitzel
with pea, mint and feta smash
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ½ cup (65g) wholemeal spelt flour+
- 2 cups (200g) quinoa flakes
- 4 chicken breast schnitzels
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- lemon wedges, to serve
pea, mint and feta smash
- 4 cups (480g) frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 100g Persian feta, crumbed
- To make the pea smash, place the peas in a large bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher. Add the mint, salt, pepper, lemon and feta. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Place the eggs, garlic and salt in a bowl and whisk with a fork to combine. Place the flour in a separate bowl and place the quinoa flakes on a plate. Dust the chicken, one piece at a time, in the flour, dip in the egg, and press into the quinoa flakes to coat.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 3–4 minutes, each side or until cooked. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Serve with the pea smash, extra mint and lemon wedges. Serves 4
+ Wholemeal spelt flour is high in fibre and has a lower level of gluten for easier digestion. Find it in supermarkets and health food stores.
This healthier take on schnitzel is one of my new go-to dinners… we absolutely love it!