molten dulce de leche lava cakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, extra
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (450g) store-bought dulce de leche or thick caramel
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- store-bought vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Grease 4 x 1-cup-capacity (250ml) metal dariole (pudding) moulds. Place the eggs, extra yolks and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 4–5 minutes or until very thick and pale. Add the dulce de leche and whisk on low speed until just combined. Add the flour and gently fold to combine. Divide the mixture between the moulds. Place on an oven tray and bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden but slightly soft in the centre. Allow to cool in the moulds for 1 minute.
- Gently run a small knife around the inside edge of the moulds. Invert the cakes onto serving plates. Top with ice-cream and serve immediately. Serves 4
donna hay team
Hi Kim, these lava cakes are best baked straight away for the mixture to remain light and fluffy. The DH Team.
Is it possible to prepare these in advance and cook at a later time? If yes, how long could they be left before baking? Please advise
donna hay team
Hi Jyoti, unfortunately these cakes rely on the egg to create the lava filling. Sorry. The dh team
Can you please give me eggless option for this recipe… I am a die hard fan of dulche de leche… Eggless Recipe will be a boon for me…