caramel self-saucing pudding
- 75g butter, melted
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pouring (single cream), to serve
- 50g butter
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 1¾ cups (435ml) water
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). To make the caramel syrup, place the butter, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, eggs, almond meal, flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla in a bowl and mix until combined. Spoon the pudding mixture into 6 x 1 cup-capacity (250ml) lightly greased ovenproof dishes.
- Pour over the caramel syrup and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with cream. Makes 6.
donna hay team
Hi Vanessa, yes there should be a lot of caramel sauce. The sauce will sit at the bottom of the pudding, with a little having bubbled up the sides of the mould. It’s a good idea to let them sit for a few minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken and start to soak back into the pudding. The DH team
Hi, I tried this tonight exactly however it the pudding turned out fine, but sauce was like soup and hence it didn’t look anything like the picture - tasty but what did I do wrong ! Was the sauce meant to be 1 3/4 cups as it seems way too much.