salted caramel swirl meringues
- 150ml eggwhites (approximately 4 eggs)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche or thick caramel sauce
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds before adding more. Once all the sugar has been added, whisk for a further 6 minutes or until stiff and glossy. Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the vinegar and whisk for a further 2 minutes or until glossy and combined.
- Draw 8 x 10cm circles on 2 large pieces of non-stick baking paper to fit 2 large baking trays, allowing room to spread. Divide the meringue between the circles and top each with 1 teaspoon dulce de leche.
- Using a palette knife, swirl the mixture and spread to the edge of each circle. Sprinkle with the salt, reduce the heat to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 30 minutes or until crisp to the touch.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for 30 minutes. Makes 8.
donna hay team
Hi Mary, you can ad 1 teaspoon of cornflour if you like. Enjoy! The DH Team.
In your basic meringue video you added cornflour, can I add cornflour to this recipe and if so how much? Thank you