salted caramel swirl meringues
- 150ml eggwhite (about 4 eggs), at room temperature+
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons store-bought thick caramel or dulce de leche
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more. Whisk for a further 6 minutes or until stiff and glossy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the vinegar and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Draw 4 x 10cm circles on each sheet and turn the paper over, to avoid marks transferring. Divide the meringue mixture between the trays, spooning it within the circles. Top each with 1 teaspoon of the caramel and swirl the mixture using a palette knife, spreading it to the edge of each circle. Sprinkle with the salt, reduce the oven temperature to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 30 minutes or until crisp to the touch. Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool in the oven with the door closed for 30 minutes, before serving. Makes 8
+ Making meringue is a science – be sure to measure the eggwhites carefully, remembering egg sizes do vary.
donna hay team
Hi Mary, you can ad 1 teaspoon of cornflour if you like. Enjoy! The DH Team.
In your basic meringue video you added cornflour, can I add cornflour to this recipe and if so how much? Thank you