herby turmeric quinoa salad
with pickled carrots
- 1 cup (200g) white quinoa
- 1¼ cups (310ml) water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup (250ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 400g mixed heirloom Dutch carrots, halved
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (110g) raisins
- ½ cup (80g) naturally smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Place the quinoa, water, turmeric and cumin in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 12 minutes or until almost tender. Remove from the heat and set aside to steam for 8 minutes or until tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the vinegar and honey in a large deep-sided tray and stir to combine. Add the carrot and onion and set aside to pickle for 20 minutes.
- To make the orange dressing, place the orange juice, oil and 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the raisins, almond, pistachio and half the dressing to the quinoa. Divide the quinoa mixture, carrot and onion between plates. Top with the coriander, mint and remaining dressing to serve. Serves 4
There are no comments for this entry yet.