buttermilk onion rings
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2¾ cups (680ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 4 onions, thinly sliced into rounds
- Fill a large saucepan one-third of the way with the oil. Place over medium heat until it reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer. Place the buttermilk, baking powder, cayenne pepper, celery seeds, salt, black pepper and 1 cup (150g) of the flour in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Place the onion and remaining flour in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Working in small batches, dip the onion in the batter, allowing excess to drip off, and carefully place in the hot oil. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on paper towel to drain before serving. Serves 4
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.